Winter, When the Serious Shoppers Come Out
While it is true that many home shoppers stop looking during the winter, many shoppers still are active.
In the Rogue Valley, we usually do not have to deal with snow or slick roads to hamper home shopping. The biggest issue I usually face in the winter is having enough daylight to show properties to those people who work full time jobs. Starting right about now, by the time it is 6 O’clock, it is hard to see outside. And that will only continue to be a smaller window of time as we approach Winter Solstice.
Reasons why shopping in the winter is tricky
- Roads are slick
- It gets dark early
- Don’t want to change schools for children mid-year
- Fewer homes on the market than in the spring
- Properties are looking their “worst”
Advantages to shopping in the winter
- Houses look their worst…they only get better from there
- Sellers may be more motivated
- Less competition from other buyers
- Might be more likely to take contingency offer
- Home inspections more likely to find bad gutters or water in the crawlspace
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!